We are what we eat. The chemicals added to these “foods” are disrupting our hormones, causing cancer and leading to a variety of health issues. Here are 5 of the many foods we should NEVER eat.
- Canned Foods – Canned foods are highly acidic, such as tomatoes can cause the BPA levels. BPA is a toxic chemical linked to the reproductive abnormalities, neurological effects, diabetes, heart disease and a big risk for breast and prostate cancers. I recommend you avoid canned food whenever possible, and stick to what’s fresh and in season.
- Processed Meats – Most deli meats are typically made with meats from animals that are not raised in an ecologically fashion. They are given growth hormones, antibiotics and other drugs that stick in their bodies and are passed on to you when you eat them. If you’re going to eat meat, avoid all processed mats at all cost. Go for a local and sustainably raised (grass fed) meat. Wild caught salmon and other fish are a great alternative too.
- Vegetable Oils – Vegetable oils (and margarine) are oils extracted from the seeds like rapeseed (canola oil) soybean (soybean oil), corn, and sunflower. They are practically non-existent in our diets until the early 1900s. When I cook, I use either butter or coconut oil. Coconut oil is practically 100% saturated, which means it’s stable at high temperatures. Its also very beneficial to the health of our bodies.
- Non-Organic Produce – The skin of the fruit or vegetable may protect the edible portion inside, but what about the fact that the chemicals are sprayed on the plants, leach into the groundwater and are absorbed into the plant by the roots? Produce that has been treated with toxic chemicals affects the planet as a whole regardless of the thickness f the skin of the product.
- Artificial Sweeteners – Aspartame forms methanol in the body. Methanol is carried into the brain and the bone marrow, where it’s converted into formaldehyde, which damages DNA. All animals, except humans, can harmlessly break down methanol into formic acid. This is why animal testing is incorrect in regard to the safety of artificial sweeteners and humans. If you need to sweeten something go for the natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup or stevia.